What is involved in Business Architecture
Find out what the related areas are that Business Architecture connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business Architecture thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Enterprise Business Architecture journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Enterprise Business Architecture leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business Architecture related domains to cover and 123 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business Architecture, Architectural domain, Best practice, Business Motivation Model, Business Process Framework, Business Process Management, Business Process Modeling Notation, Business architect, Business model, Business strategy, Capability management in business, Commercial off-the-shelf, Enterprise architecture, Enterprise architecture framework, Gerrit Versteeg, Model Driven Architecture, OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group, OMG Business Architecture Working Group, Object Management Group, Open standard, Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules, Supply-Chain Operations Reference, TM Forum, The Open Group, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Value Stream, View model, Zachman Framework:
Business Architecture Critical Criteria:
Examine Business Architecture planning and finalize the present value of growth of Business Architecture.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Business Architecture? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business Architecture?
– Have you identified your Business Architecture key performance indicators?
Architectural domain Critical Criteria:
Examine Architectural domain engagements and proactively manage Architectural domain risks.
– For your Business Architecture project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Does Business Architecture analysis show the relationships among important Business Architecture factors?
– Have all basic functions of Business Architecture been defined?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Best practice leadership and probe Best practice strategic alliances.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Business Architecture project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Business Architecture project lifecycle?
– What standards, guidelines, best practices, and tools are organizations using to understand, measure, and manage risk at the management, operational, and technical levels?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Aare there recommended best practices to help us decide whether they should move to the cloud?
– Are we proactively using the most effective means, the best practices and maximizing our opportunities?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– What are some best practices for implementing an air gap in a our setting?
– Think of your Business Architecture project. what are the main functions?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Business Motivation Model Critical Criteria:
Discuss Business Motivation Model issues and perfect Business Motivation Model conflict management.
– Can we add value to the current Business Architecture decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Business Architecture opportunities costing us money?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Guide Business Process Framework tactics and test out new things.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Business Architecture moving forward?
– Which Business Architecture goals are the most important?
– Do we have past Business Architecture Successes?
Business Process Management Critical Criteria:
Rank Business Process Management visions and shift your focus.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Business Architecture project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business Architecture?
Business Process Modeling Notation Critical Criteria:
Investigate Business Process Modeling Notation strategies and check on ways to get started with Business Process Modeling Notation.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Business Architecture product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How do we Identify specific Business Architecture investment and emerging trends?
– How do we keep improving Business Architecture?
Business architect Critical Criteria:
Study Business architect quality and find out.
– What is the difference between a Business Architect and a Business Analyst?
– Can we do Business Architecture without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Will Business Architecture deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Business model Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Business model projects and be persistent.
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– How can we take rapid and informed action given the dramatic changes the IoT will make to our traditional business models?
– What applications will first become mainstream and under which business model will they operate?
– How well does the product fit our current and planned business model(s)?
– What potential megatrends could make our business model obsolete?
– What are the long-term Business Architecture goals?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Infer Business strategy outcomes and get going.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– When a Business Architecture manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– How important is Business Architecture to the user organizations mission?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
– Is Business Architecture Required?
Capability management in business Critical Criteria:
Graph Capability management in business engagements and devise Capability management in business key steps.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Business Architecture is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How will you measure your Business Architecture effectiveness?
Commercial off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Guard Commercial off-the-shelf results and know what your objective is.
– Is sufficient schedule time allocated to allow for dependencies on commercial off-the-shelf cots product deliveries?
– Why should we adopt a Business Architecture framework?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Systematize Enterprise architecture visions and describe the risks of Enterprise architecture sustainability.
– Consider your own Business Architecture project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– How do we maintain Business Architectures Integrity?
– How do we go about Securing Business Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Enterprise architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Enterprise architecture framework visions and get out your magnifying glass.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Business Architecture with what users do day-to-day?
– What business benefits will Business Architecture goals deliver if achieved?
– Do we all define Business Architecture in the same way?
Gerrit Versteeg Critical Criteria:
Model after Gerrit Versteeg risks and innovate what needs to be done with Gerrit Versteeg.
– How is the value delivered by Business Architecture being measured?
– What are current Business Architecture Paradigms?
– Are there Business Architecture Models?
Model Driven Architecture Critical Criteria:
Review Model Driven Architecture results and probe the present value of growth of Model Driven Architecture.
– Do Business Architecture rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How can you measure Business Architecture in a systematic way?
– How can we improve Business Architecture?
OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group Critical Criteria:
Participate in OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group quality and explore and align the progress in OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group.
– How likely is the current Business Architecture plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
OMG Business Architecture Working Group Critical Criteria:
Survey OMG Business Architecture Working Group engagements and shift your focus.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Business Architecture ?
Object Management Group Critical Criteria:
Map Object Management Group tasks and change contexts.
– In the case of a Business Architecture project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Business Architecture project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Business Architecture project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Business Architecture strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business Architecture project?
Open standard Critical Criteria:
Devise Open standard risks and learn.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business Architecture effort?
– Is Supporting Business Architecture documentation required?
– How do we Lead with Business Architecture in Mind?
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules decisions and remodel and develop an effective Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules strategy.
– Do we monitor the Business Architecture decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Business Architecture been identified and analyzed?
Supply-Chain Operations Reference Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Supply-Chain Operations Reference tasks and figure out ways to motivate other Supply-Chain Operations Reference users.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Business Architecture into the services that we provide?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business Architecture project manager?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Focus on TM Forum quality and describe the risks of TM Forum sustainability.
– Is the scope of Business Architecture defined?
– What is Effective Business Architecture?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with The Open Group issues and secure The Open Group creativity.
– How would one define Business Architecture leadership?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on The Open Group Architecture Framework tasks and display thorough understanding of the The Open Group Architecture Framework process.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business Architecture, including any consulting or professional services?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Business Architecture products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Value Stream Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Value Stream governance and define what our big hairy audacious Value Stream goal is.
– What are internal and external Business Architecture relations?
View model Critical Criteria:
Dissect View model issues and do something to it.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business Architecture forward?
Zachman Framework Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Zachman Framework strategies and find the essential reading for Zachman Framework researchers.
– What is the purpose of Business Architecture in relation to the mission?
– Is there any existing Business Architecture governance structure?
– How do enterprise architects use the Zachman Framework?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Enterprise Business Architecture Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business Architecture External links:
Business Architecture Guild
What is Business Architecture? – The Open Group Blog
Best practice External links:
ALTA – Best Practices
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
[PDF]ALTA BEST PRACTICE POLICIES Our Pledge – Title …
http://www.titlecorockies.com/PDF/Best Practices Pledge 2014m .pdf
Business Motivation Model External links:
What is Business Motivation Model | IGI Global
About the Business Motivation Model Specification …
BRG: Business Motivation Model
Business Process Framework External links:
Product Documentation for Business Process Framework
Business Process Management External links:
BP3 | Business Process Management
Business Process Management – BPM – Gartner IT Glossary
Business Process Management Tool | myInvenio
Business Process Modeling Notation External links:
OMG Business Process Modeling Notation
About the Business Process Modeling Notation …
Business architect External links:
Home – IRIS Business Architect collaborative software
What is Business Architecture? – The Open Group Blog
Business architect job description – CWJobs.co.uk
Business model External links:
Business Model Definition | Investopedia
Business Model Templates for PowerPoint – …
OneTitle | business model
Business strategy External links:
Business strategy (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Business Strategy Manager Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
AT&T Business Strategy :: Strategic Management
Capability management in business External links:
Capability management in business – topics.revolvy.com
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Capability management in business
Commercial off-the-shelf External links:
[PDF][Commercial Off-The-Shelf Software] – Florida
Commercial Off-the-Shelf Software 2012 (COTS 2012)
[PPT]COMMERCIAL OFF-THE-SHELF (COTS)
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Professional Journal
Center for Enterprise Architecture
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Gerrit Versteeg External links:
Henry Gerrit Versteeg (1879 – 1965) – Find A Grave Memorial
Gerrit Versteeg Profiles | Facebook
Model Driven Architecture External links:
An Evaluation of Model Driven Architecture (MDA) Tools
Czech Model Driven Architecture Meetup Group (Prague) | Meetup
OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group External links:
OMG Business Architecture Special Interest Group – …
Object Management Group External links:
Object Management Group | ISE
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Rules External links:
Semantics Of Business Vocabulary And Rules (SBVR) – …
Supply-Chain Operations Reference External links:
[PDF]Supply-Chain Operations Reference-model
TM Forum External links:
Home | TM Forum Live
Home – TM Forum Inform
Home | TM Forum IoE Infocus
The Open Group External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework – Official Site
The Open Group Professional Certifications – Pearson VUE
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) – Core Concepts
The Open Group Architecture Framework Tutorials | …
The Open Group Architecture Framework Version 8.1.1
Value Stream External links:
[PPT]Value Stream Analysis: Ideas and Options
http://www.deltaltms.com/docs/Value Stream Analysis (2).ppt
SME – Value Stream Mapping
Title V Value Stream Mapping | Iowa Department of …
View model External links:
http://A view model represents the data that you want to display on your view/page, whether it be used for static text or for input values (like textboxes and dropdown lists) that can be added to the database (or edited). It is something different than your domain model. It is a model for the view.
[PDF]FAUCET PARTS – EXPLODED VIEW Model: K-59 – …
Pine View Model United Nations
Zachman Framework External links:
Zachman Framework For Enterprise Architecture – …
Zachman Framework Flashcards | Quizlet
Sybase PowerDesigner & The Zachman Framework: …