What is involved in Business rules
Find out what the related areas are that Business rules connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business rules thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business rules engine journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business rules engine leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business rules related domains to cover and 112 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business rules, Business rule, Business, Business Process Modeling Notation, Business Risks, Business analysis, Business analyst, Business logic, Business process, Business rule management system, Business rule mining, Business rules approach, Business rules engine, Conceptual schema, Decision Model and Notation, Drools, Ephemeral, Glossary, Knowledge, Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules, Z notation:
Business rules Critical Criteria:
Value Business rules outcomes and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Is the Business rules organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How do we maintain Business ruless Integrity?
– Are we Assessing Business rules and Risk?
Business rule Critical Criteria:
Analyze Business rule governance and find answers.
– If enterprise data were always kept fully normalized and updated for business rule changes, would any system re-writes or replacement purchases be necessary?
– Why is Business rules important for you now?
– How do we go about Securing Business rules?
Business Critical Criteria:
Talk about Business results and create a map for yourself.
– Familiarity Matrix: What should be the split of resources to different types of markets and to different technology types in terms of their familiarity to the business?
– Does your mobile solution allow you to interact with desktop-authored dashboards using touchscreen gestures like taps, flicks, and pinches?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What should recruiters look for in a business intelligence professional?
– Is Business Intelligence a more natural fit within Finance or IT?
– What are the pros and cons of outsourcing Business Intelligence?
– What type and complexity of system administration roles?
– Are there other statutes that encourage collaboration?
– What erp systems are ecommerce companies using?
– To what business category does the company belong to?
– Is your BI software easy to understand?
– Do relationships fit our culture?
– Using dashboard functions?
– Why Is PRM Important?
Business Process Modeling Notation Critical Criteria:
Audit Business Process Modeling Notation quality and define what do we need to start doing with Business Process Modeling Notation.
– Is Business rules dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Business rules project?
– What will drive Business rules change?
Business Risks Critical Criteria:
Understand Business Risks risks and give examples utilizing a core of simple Business Risks skills.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Business rules process?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Business rules?
– How to Secure Business rules?
Business analysis Critical Criteria:
Mine Business analysis outcomes and explore and align the progress in Business analysis.
– What are the key elements of your Business rules performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Business rules does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What happens to the function of the business analysis in user story development?
– Are there Business rules Models?
Business analyst Critical Criteria:
Guard Business analyst quality and pay attention to the small things.
– Does Business rules create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What are typical responsibilities of someone in the role of Business Analyst?
– What is the difference between a Business Architect and a Business Analyst?
– Do business analysts know the cost of feature addition or modification?
– How do we Improve Business rules service perception, and satisfaction?
– How can the value of Business rules be defined?
Business logic Critical Criteria:
Refer to Business logic visions and perfect Business logic conflict management.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business rules requirements in detail?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Business process projects and summarize a clear Business process focus.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Business rules?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is the business process?
Business rule management system Critical Criteria:
Recall Business rule management system strategies and learn.
– How will you know that the Business rules project has been successful?
– Have you identified your Business rules key performance indicators?
– What are all of our Business rules domains and what do they do?
Business rule mining Critical Criteria:
Participate in Business rule mining tasks and ask questions.
– Among the Business rules product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is a Business rules Team Work effort in place?
– How can we improve Business rules?
Business rules approach Critical Criteria:
Analyze Business rules approach outcomes and be persistent.
– What are our needs in relation to Business rules skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business rules?
– What business benefits will Business rules goals deliver if achieved?
Business rules engine Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Business rules engine leadership and assess what counts with Business rules engine that we are not counting.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Business rules product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Conceptual schema Critical Criteria:
Study Conceptual schema management and secure Conceptual schema creativity.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Business rules models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Business rules?
Decision Model and Notation Critical Criteria:
Chart Decision Model and Notation tactics and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Decision Model and Notation.
– How do we Identify specific Business rules investment and emerging trends?
– Why should we adopt a Business rules framework?
– How do we Lead with Business rules in Mind?
Drools Critical Criteria:
Shape Drools issues and reduce Drools costs.
– How likely is the current Business rules plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What threat is Business rules addressing?
Ephemeral Critical Criteria:
Discourse Ephemeral engagements and ask questions.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Business rules processes?
– When a Business rules manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Glossary Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Glossary tasks and budget for Glossary challenges.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Business rules services/products?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Business rules? There might be some that are less obvious?
Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Knowledge engagements and handle a jump-start course to Knowledge.
– Rapidly increasing specialization of skill and knowledge presents a major management challenge. How does an organization maintain a work environment that supports specialization without compromising its ability to marshal its full range of Human Resources and turn on a dime to implement strategic imperatives?
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– Do we support the certified Cybersecurity professional and cyber-informed operations and engineering professionals with advanced problem-solving tools, communities of practice, canonical knowledge bases, and other performance support tools?
– Does the information infrastructure convert raw data into more meaningful, relevant information to create knowledgeable and wise decisions that assists personnel in carrying out their enterprise Risk Management and other responsibilities?
– What domains of knowledge and types of Cybersecurity-associated skills and abilities are necessary for engineers involved in operating industrial processes to achieve safe and reliable operating goals?
– Has anyone made unauthorized changes or additions to your systems hardware, firmware, or software characteristics without your IT departments knowledge, instruction, or consent?
– How can the balance between tacit and explicit knowledge and their diffusion be found in agile software development when there are several parties involved?
– How do we get started on this major task and what critical knowledge do we need to consider from a People, Process, Product and Partner perspective?
– How do we foster the skills, knowledge, talents, attributes, and characteristics we want to have?
– Can specialized social networks replace learning management systems?
– How do we manage Business rules Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What is the role of Project Management Body of Knowledge?
– How does one best achieve tacit knowledge codification?
– How is Staffs knowledge of procedures and regulations?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules tasks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules.
– Are assumptions made in Business rules stated explicitly?
– Does Business rules appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Z notation Critical Criteria:
Coach on Z notation failures and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Business rules effort?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business rules engine Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business rules External links:
AAMVA – NMVTIS Business Rules
Business rule External links:
Business Rules vs. Business Requirements …
What is a Business Rule? – Definition from Techopedia
[PDF]Business Rule Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Business External links:
Learn About Business Job Titles – The Balance
Business Process Modeling Notation External links:
BPMN | Business Process Modeling Notation
What is Business Process Modeling Notation | Lucidchart
Business Risks External links:
These Are the Biggest Business Risks Today | Fortune
Business Risks | Partnership | Ownership
How to Reduce Business Risks | Chron.com
Business analysis External links:
International Institute of Business Analysis – Official Site
[PDF]A GUIDE TO THE BUSINESS ANALYSIS BODY OF …
Contract Business Analysis Repository
Business analyst External links:
Title Business Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Here are 13 Jobs that Can Lead to a Business Analyst Job
Business logic External links:
How to Write Complex Business Logic Test Scenarios …
Tutorial 2: Creating a Business Logic Layer
Business Logic – Home | Facebook
Business process External links:
What Is a Business Process? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Business Process Outsourcing | BPO | DATAMARK, Inc.
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Business rule management system External links:
The Anatomy of a Business Rule Management System
Business rule management system – YouTube
No-Code | Business Rule Management System | Business …
Business rule mining External links:
[PDF]Business Rule Mining from Spreadsheets – CEUR …
Business rules approach External links:
Business Rules Approach in Software Development – YouTube
Book Review: Principles of the Business Rules Approach …
The Business Rules Approach and Its Effect on Software …
Business rules engine External links:
Corticon Business Rules Engine – Progress
Business Rules Engine Software | Pega
Avaya Support – Products – Business Rules Engine
Conceptual schema External links:
Conceptual schema Meaning – YouTube
Conceptual schema | Article about conceptual schema by …
[MC-CSDL]: Conceptual Schema Definition File Format
Decision Model and Notation External links:
[PDF]Decision Model and Notation 101 – Red Hat
[PDF]Decision Model and Notation – OMG Issue Tracker
Preview: Decision Model and Notation (DMN) – Hyped …
Drools External links:
Drools – Official Site
Drools – Introduction
Ephemeral External links:
Ephemeral Rift – YouTube
Ephemeral | Define Ephemeral at Dictionary.com
Glossary External links:
Title Glossary – Kootenai Title
Glossary | Title Guaranty
Glossary – Chicago Title Insurance Company – CTIC
Knowledge External links:
Knowledge Exchange Disclaimer
Knowledge Management System – Login
CCMC’s Case Management Body of Knowledge (CMBOK)
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules External links:
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules
Z notation External links:
Z notation – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
[PDF]THE Z NOTATION – Terry Marris
Z Notation – Free Download Z Notation Software