What is involved in Gap Analysis
Find out what the related areas are that Gap Analysis connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Gap Analysis thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Gap Analysis journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Gap Analysis leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Gap Analysis related domains to cover and 150 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Gap Analysis, Benchmarking, Business, Business process, Capability, Capital, Growth-share matrix, Information technology, Management, Office of Government Commerce, Operations research, Organization, PRINCE2, Production possibilities frontier, Resource allocation:
Gap Analysis Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Gap Analysis decisions and summarize a clear Gap Analysis focus.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Gap Analysis delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are our needs in relation to Gap Analysis skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Gap Analysis requirements in detail?
Benchmarking Critical Criteria:
Coach on Benchmarking governance and test out new things.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Gap Analysis process?
– How important is Gap Analysis to the user organizations mission?
Business Critical Criteria:
Face Business issues and report on developing an effective Business strategy.
– To what extent do you believe the use of cloud computing will improve its ability to provide support for the business in the next two years?
– What information can be provided in regards to a sites usage and business intelligence usage within the intranet environment?
– Is there an unplanned business event or project that has occurred and is potential impacting the workload ?
– What blockchain enhancements can dramatically alter your current businesses processes?
– In the new era of business technology, what challenges are keeping you up at night?
– How do you calculate the cost of servicing a customer in a SaaS business?
– How do I know if my business is Customer/Member Centric ?
– How well did we focus on future events vs. past mistakes?
– What is your process for gathering business requirements?
– What is the status of other businesses and their plans?
– Do you know which customers give you the best business?
– What are the pillar concepts of business intelligence?
– What are the best client side analytics tools today?
– What are the Strategic Elements of a Relationship?
– Is the product accessible from the internet?
– How stable is it across domains/geographies?
– How are you going to manage?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Business process tasks and acquire concise Business process education.
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What are the disruptive Gap Analysis technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do we have detailed information on the business process for refunds and charge backs if they are required?
– If we accept wire transfers what is the desired business process around supporting wire transfers?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– What are the relationships with other business processes and are these necessary?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Gap Analysis objectives?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– What/how are business processes defined?
Capability Critical Criteria:
Review Capability decisions and secure Capability creativity.
– Workforce Change Management How do you prepare your workforce for changing capability and capacity needs? How do you manage your workforce, its needs, and your needs to ensure continuity, prevent workforce reductions, and minimize the impact of workforce reductions, if they do become necessary? How do you prepare for and manage periods of workforce growth?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Gap Analysis workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are items which are not calibrated to their full capability or which require functional check only labeled to indicate the applicable condition?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Gap Analysis strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do interorganizational and interpersonal networks affect our strategic adaptive capability in a transition economy?
– Does the company have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– Do we have a log monitoring capability with analytics and alertingalso known as continuous monitoring?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Do you have the capability to measure cost per lead or cost per acquisition?
– What is your leaderships capability of sponsoring and supporting change?
– What is the logging capability for audit purposes?
– What capability are we seeking to access?
– Is unnecessary capability harmful?
Capital Critical Criteria:
Focus on Capital engagements and check on ways to get started with Capital.
– Why should managers set the required rate of return higher than the rate at which money can be borrowed when making a typical capital budgeting decision?
– What are the human capital processes that should be measured in todays economy, and, going forward for that matter, as a routine process?
– If the firm invests by choosing projects with the shortest payback period, which project would it invest in?
– What are the primary distinctions between foreign capital investments and domestic investments?
– Looking back, what kind of stock-price performance would you expect to see for this firm?
– Which error do you think is more likely to occur when firms use payback analysis?
– What is the difference between mandatory and discretionary capital investments?
– Did the program result in any unplanned outcomes which could be capitalised on?
– What is the difference between a current expenditure and a capital investment?
– Why are capital budgeting decisions important to the success of a firm?
– What do we do in the human capital arena to offset future surprises?
– How do you come up with the right discounted payback period cut-off?
– How to leverage the strengths and capitalise on the opportunities?
– Does a proposed project meet some preset standard of acceptance?
– What does the IRS use for its depreciable basis guidelines?
– What steps are involved in the capita budgeting process?
– What is a projects net annual benefit?
– What does the stock sell for today?
– What is operating leverage?
– What are our Human Capital Needs?
Growth-share matrix Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Growth-share matrix outcomes and maintain Growth-share matrix for success.
– What are the key elements of your Gap Analysis performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Gap Analysis moving forward?
– How can we improve Gap Analysis?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Jump start Information technology tasks and slay a dragon.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Gap Analysis process?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Think of your Gap Analysis project. what are the main functions?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Management Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Management decisions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Can we describe our organizations policies and procedures governing risk generally and Cybersecurity risk specifically. How does senior management communicate and oversee these policies and procedures?
– Do you allow product portfolio renewal to occur without interference by merely adding new products, or should the renewal be governed based on strategic and financial targets over life cycle?
– Key problem solving knowledge resides with the knowledge workers, and not the manager. So, how do we adapt project management techniques to deal with this key reality?
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– Do we have sufficient processes in place to enforce security controls and standards?
– Have logical and physical connections to key systems been evaluated and addressed?
– Is there a danger that the supplier may act in an opportunistic manner over time?
– How does the organization determine the regulatory requirements it must meet?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Where do requirements come from (and what should we do about it)?
– Are all identified requirements allocated to test cases?
– Which suppliers are linked to sensitive issues?
– What is your budget for this initiative?
– How can we figure out LTV in Social CRM?
– Where are the obvious control points?
– What kind of investment will this be?
– Does the change involve a usq?
– Do we have a supplier council?
– Who will monitor?
Office of Government Commerce Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Office of Government Commerce risks and ask questions.
– Do we monitor the Gap Analysis decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What threat is Gap Analysis addressing?
– How to deal with Gap Analysis Changes?
Operations research Critical Criteria:
Examine Operations research outcomes and change contexts.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Gap Analysis study?
– What are the barriers to increased Gap Analysis production?
– Is Gap Analysis Required?
Organization Critical Criteria:
Add value to Organization results and correct Organization management by competencies.
– For HIPAA, GLBA and/or other state or federal regulation compliance, what due diligence/auditing is performed to ensure that you remain in compliance and what individual(s) in your organization are responsible for said compliance?
– What are the current regulatory and regulatory reporting requirements in the United States (e.g. local, state, national, and other) for organizations relating to Cybersecurity?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– How would you describe the impact of cloud vis-a -vis your Service Management initiative/capabilities in your organization?
– What about cost of implementing electronic records for providers which are not entitled to incentive payments?
– Have I addressed employee questions and issues, and have I captured and escalated important employee concerns?
– What is our maximum value-adding contribution across an entire patient population?
– What are the most important benefits of effective organizational Risk Management?
– Who outside our team, unit or department must we involve, inform or consult with?
– Do Payment Models Remove Payment Incentives To Increase Volume?
– Is support provided by your organization or is it outsourced?
– Exclusivity – Are you contractually bound to just one ACO?
– How dynamic can organizational capabilities be?
– User acceptance criteria defined and agreed to?
– Who would sign off on the charter?
– Why is this Good for Providers?
– All-Payer Model: What Is It?
PRINCE2 Critical Criteria:
Grasp PRINCE2 adoptions and drive action.
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Gap Analysis? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– What is the purpose of Gap Analysis in relation to the mission?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
Production possibilities frontier Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Production possibilities frontier management and handle a jump-start course to Production possibilities frontier.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Gap Analysis strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How do we measure improved Gap Analysis service perception, and satisfaction?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Gap Analysis project?
Resource allocation Critical Criteria:
Learn from Resource allocation adoptions and define what do we need to start doing with Resource allocation.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Gap Analysis product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Consider your own Gap Analysis project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Gap Analysis ?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Gap Analysis Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Gap Analysis External links:
How to Perform a Technology Gap Analysis for Your Business
5 Simple Steps On How To Do A Gap Analysis | Rob Kelly
How to conduct a skills gap analysis | Workable
Benchmarking External links:
E/M Utilization Benchmarking Tool – E/M Calculator – AAPC
Energy Benchmarking | ddoe
Welcome to B3 Benchmarking
Business External links:
What is title? definition and meaning – BusinessDictionary.com
Small Business Administration – Official Site
Learn About Business Job Titles – The Balance
Business process External links:
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM Solutions
Canon Business Process Services
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
Capability External links:
[PDF]TITLE: USMC CAPABILITY: MOUNTAIN/COLD …
Capability Brown – AbeBooks
[PDF]How to Write a Capability Statement – …
Capital External links:
Capital and Lowercase Letters in Titles (Title Case)
Capital Letters in Titles | More Novel by the Week
Capital One – Free Credit Score & Report Check with CreditWise
Growth-share matrix External links:
Growth-Share Matrix Examples – SmartDraw
Growth-Share Matrix – Read How to Make BCGs, See …
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
SOLAR | Division of Information Technology
Management External links:
Learn About Management Levels and Job Titles – The Balance
Title Management Group, Inc. – NOLA.com
Homes For Rent – Title One Management
Office of Government Commerce External links:
Office of Government Commerce | B.D.’s Last Refuge
Operations research External links:
Operations research (Book, 1974) [WorldCat.org]
Operations Research (O.R.), or operational research in the U.K, is a discipline that deals with the application of advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions.
Operations Research on JSTOR
Organization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
Our Organization | New York State Land Title Association
PRINCE2 External links:
[PDF]An Introduction to the PRINCE2 project methodology by …
How much does the Prince2 Foundation exam cost? – Quora
Prince2 Foundation Flashcards | Quizlet
Production possibilities frontier External links:
The Slope of the Production Possibilities Frontier – YouTube
Resource allocation External links:
Resource Allocation | Prose and Purpose
Resource Allocation. (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]