What is involved in Systems Operations
Find out what the related areas are that Systems Operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Systems Operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Systems Operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Systems Operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Systems Operations related domains to cover and 112 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Systems Operations, Operations support system, Access network, Business support system, Computer system, Configuration management, Customer service, DSL Forum, Data entry clerk, Digital Equipment Corporation, Fault management, Hardware Information Navigational Tool, ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector, International Organization for Standardization, Loop Maintenance Operations System, Network element, Remote Memory Administration System, Service Evaluation System, Service assurance, Service delivery platform, Service fulfillment, Simple Network Management Protocol, Software applications, Switching Control Center System, TM Forum, Telcordia Technologies, Telecommunications Management Network, Telecommunications service providers, Telephone company, Telephone exchange, Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System:
Systems Operations Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Systems Operations risks and optimize Systems Operations leadership as a key to advancement.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Systems Operations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Systems Operations agendas for the next 3 years?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Systems Operations? There might be some that are less obvious?
Operations support system Critical Criteria:
Learn from Operations support system risks and perfect Operations support system conflict management.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Systems Operations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Systems Operations project?
– Does Systems Operations analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Access network Critical Criteria:
Own Access network goals and display thorough understanding of the Access network process.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Systems Operations leader?
– How do we go about Securing Systems Operations?
Business support system Critical Criteria:
Match Business support system governance and probe Business support system strategic alliances.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Systems Operations strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is Systems Operations Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Computer system Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Computer system leadership and observe effective Computer system.
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Systems Operations study?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Systems Operations processes?
– How can you measure Systems Operations in a systematic way?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Face Configuration management projects and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Configuration management projects.
– Intent: how do you keep the changes from getting out of hand and contain the potential for errors in the build?
– Have test requirements, for acceptance and integration testing, and Configuration Management been developed?
– The words delta, full and package describe different types of release. Which ones do we use when?
– How do you ensure that existing code does not get worse as you make other improvements?
– How do you build get the right versions of the right components into a new workspace?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all requirements documents available and current?
– What are direct advantages of entering into Service Level Agreements?
– Have you identified organization interfaces within your CM Program?
– What are good and easy practices for frequent web deployments?
– What are some of the software Configuration Management tools?
– What is a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Is there a Design Reconstitution program in place?
– Can we answer questions like: Who owns a webapp?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– What: selection of cis should be managed?
– Is the change necessary, and if so, why?
– So what needs to be under scm?
– How are baselines verified?
– Why establish baselines?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Drive Customer service visions and get the big picture.
– Do we offer the opportunity to provide feedback regarding a supervisors leadership skills. if so, do we find it valuable, and are they able to remain constructive?
– What is the maximum amount of time you are willing to wait for help from Customer Service in-person (ex., at a bank, retail store, service provider or restaurant)?
– Think about service providers who have difficulty making small talk during interactions with customers. why do you think this happens?
– How many attempts do you make before you reach the correct person (e.g., number of phone transfers, e-mail forwards, etc.)?
– Do you bypass the system and work around the unhelpful person in order to get the job done?
– Which of the following are reasons you use social media when it comes to Customer Service?
– What are the three most important things we need to focus on to improve Customer Service?
– And to what extent do your suppliers and subcontractors affect your overall package?
– How do we handle a situation where a customer wants something that we do not offer?
– What kinds of problems would cause the most Customer Service complaints?
– Can you deliver good Customer Service if employees do not report to duty?
– What do you do when someone is treating a Customer Service rep badly?
– CRM and Customer Service: Strategic Asset or Corporate Overhead?
– Is local, toll-free or collect-call phone access available 24/7?
– Why would some people be reluctant to make eye contact with you?
– What are appropriate reasons for following up with a customer?
– What are the best community tools for Customer Service?
– How does your organization categorise its customers?
– What do we do when we Cant resolve the problem!?
– What is Effective Customer Service?
DSL Forum Critical Criteria:
Talk about DSL Forum failures and know what your objective is.
– What is the source of the strategies for Systems Operations strengthening and reform?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Systems Operations Management?
– How to deal with Systems Operations Changes?
Data entry clerk Critical Criteria:
Mine Data entry clerk engagements and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Data entry clerk is getting what it needs.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Systems Operations information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Is maximizing Systems Operations protection the same as minimizing Systems Operations loss?
Digital Equipment Corporation Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Digital Equipment Corporation projects and ask what if.
– Are there Systems Operations Models?
Fault management Critical Criteria:
Probe Fault management risks and arbitrate Fault management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Systems Operations services/products?
– Are accountability and ownership for Systems Operations clearly defined?
– What is our formula for success in Systems Operations ?
Hardware Information Navigational Tool Critical Criteria:
Check Hardware Information Navigational Tool governance and be persistent.
– How will you know that the Systems Operations project has been successful?
– Does our organization need more Systems Operations education?
– What threat is Systems Operations addressing?
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector Critical Criteria:
Sort ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector outcomes and integrate design thinking in ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector innovation.
– Why is Systems Operations important for you now?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over International Organization for Standardization strategies and describe which business rules are needed as International Organization for Standardization interface.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Systems Operations? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Is Systems Operations Required?
Loop Maintenance Operations System Critical Criteria:
Dissect Loop Maintenance Operations System engagements and handle a jump-start course to Loop Maintenance Operations System.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Systems Operations leaders?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Systems Operations project?
– Does the Systems Operations task fit the clients priorities?
Network element Critical Criteria:
Add value to Network element results and plan concise Network element education.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Systems Operations requirements in detail?
Remote Memory Administration System Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Remote Memory Administration System projects and adopt an insight outlook.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Systems Operations been identified and analyzed?
– Is the scope of Systems Operations defined?
Service Evaluation System Critical Criteria:
Probe Service Evaluation System tasks and correct Service Evaluation System management by competencies.
– What are the disruptive Systems Operations technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do we monitor the Systems Operations decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How do we measure improved Systems Operations service perception, and satisfaction?
Service assurance Critical Criteria:
Rank Service assurance visions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Service assurance.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Systems Operations?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Systems Operations values?
Service delivery platform Critical Criteria:
Chat re Service delivery platform outcomes and spearhead techniques for implementing Service delivery platform.
– In what ways are Systems Operations vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Systems Operations?
Service fulfillment Critical Criteria:
Infer Service fulfillment management and spearhead techniques for implementing Service fulfillment.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Systems Operations strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Systems Operations processes of our organization?
– What about Systems Operations Analysis of results?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Add value to Simple Network Management Protocol adoptions and secure Simple Network Management Protocol creativity.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Systems Operations processes?
– Does Systems Operations systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Software applications Critical Criteria:
Frame Software applications decisions and define what our big hairy audacious Software applications goal is.
– How do we manage Systems Operations Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Are there recognized Systems Operations problems?
Switching Control Center System Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Switching Control Center System management and report on developing an effective Switching Control Center System strategy.
– Does Systems Operations create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Grade TM Forum decisions and test out new things.
– How do we Identify specific Systems Operations investment and emerging trends?
Telcordia Technologies Critical Criteria:
Systematize Telcordia Technologies results and correct Telcordia Technologies management by competencies.
– what is the best design framework for Systems Operations organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Systems Operations strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
Telecommunications Management Network Critical Criteria:
Dissect Telecommunications Management Network visions and perfect Telecommunications Management Network conflict management.
– Consider your own Systems Operations project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How do we go about Comparing Systems Operations approaches/solutions?
Telecommunications service providers Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Telecommunications service providers tasks and stake your claim.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Systems Operations does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Systems Operations forward?
– How can we improve Systems Operations?
Telephone company Critical Criteria:
Survey Telephone company adoptions and gather Telephone company models .
– How can you negotiate Systems Operations successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Is the Systems Operations organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Why should we adopt a Systems Operations framework?
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Dissect Telephone exchange failures and summarize a clear Telephone exchange focus.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Systems Operations objectives?
– Why are Systems Operations skills important?
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System Critical Criteria:
Consider Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System leadership and correct better engagement with Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System results.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Systems Operations project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Systems Operations project lifecycle?
– When a Systems Operations manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are all of our Systems Operations domains and what do they do?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Systems Operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Systems Operations External links:
Water Systems Operations II | Mass.gov
WOMOS 150U Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations Technician
AWS Training | Systems Operations on AWS
Operations support system External links:
ACE OPERATIONS SUPPORT SYSTEM
Avaya Support – Products – Operations Support System
Access network External links:
All Partners Access Network – Official Site
Z-CAN – ZIKA Contraception Access Network
S.C.A.N. Home – Security Central Access Network
Business support system External links:
[PDF]Business Support System (BSS) Business Cases
Build A Business Support System – She Takes on the World
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management Certification & Training …
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Configuration Management | IpX
Customer service External links:
Capital One Customer Service | Contact Us
ODJFS | Child Support Customer Service Portal
DSL Forum External links:
Verizon DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
Earthlink DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
[PDF]DSL Forum Technical Report TR-126 Triple-play …
Data entry clerk External links:
Learn What Data Entry Clerks Do – The Balance
Data Entry Clerk Salary – PayScale
Data Entry Clerk Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Digital Equipment Corporation External links:
GRC’s | Digital Equipment Corporation’s PDP-8
Digital Equipment Corporation – CHM Revolution
Fault management External links:
Fault management legal definition of Fault management
[PDF]FAULT MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK – NASA
Hardware Information Navigational Tool External links:
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – WOW.com
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector External links:
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
MDMC – International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
Network element External links:
[PDF]Unbundled Network Element Platform (UNE P) …
Remote Memory Administration System External links:
RMAS means Remote Memory Administration System
Service Evaluation System External links:
Prototype Bus Service Evaluation System – Internet Archive
Service assurance External links:
Service Assurance Jobs – Naukri.com
Windstream Wholesale – Wholesale Service Assurance …
Service Assurance Analyst (PP/SAA/P/CS) – Project People
Service delivery platform External links:
Customer Service Delivery Platform – A Process-Driven …
Service fulfillment External links:
Agency Service Fulfillment Enterprises, LLC
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
[PDF]Simple Network Management Protocol – Fermilab
Software applications External links:
AltSource | Custom Business Software Applications
CRMfusion Salesforce Data Quality Software Applications
Switching Control Center System External links:
Switching Control Center System – How is Switching …
TM Forum External links:
Home | TM Forum IoE Infocus
Home | TM Forum Live
Home | TM Forum Live
Telcordia Technologies External links:
Telcordia Technologies Careers | CareerBliss
Telcordia Technologies, Inc. – CACI
Telecommunications Management Network External links:
Telecommunications Management Network | Arizona …
Telecommunications service providers External links:
[PDF]for Telecommunications Service Providers
Telephone company External links:
High Speed Internet | Margaretville Telephone Company
srcaccess.net – Santa Rosa Telephone Company
mail.4wbi.net – Westphalia Telephone Company / …
Telephone exchange External links:
Online BillPay – Steelville Telephone Exchange Inc.
North American Telephone Exchange Lookup by NPA NXX